By Marsha M. Brown
INFORMATION YOU MAY WANT TO MAKE NOTE OF AND IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, PLEASE CONSIDER ATTENDING EACH AND EVERY MEETING, EVENT OR VETERAN GATHERING THAT YOU CAN TO SHOW OUR VETERANS THE SUPPORT THEY DESERVE:
- In May 2012, the Dare County Board of Commissioners established a Dare County Veterans Advisory Council in recognition of the service and sacrifice of our veterans; the Council acts in an advisory capacity and is comprised of seven members who meet each month on the 4th Thursday at 3:00 PM in the Dare County Administrative Bldg., Rm. 168, 954 Marshall C. Collins Dr., Manteo, NC 27954 and the general public is welcome to attend. The meetings are informative and very helpful with regard to local veteran matters; often times featuring special guest speakers; also attended by Rhonda Creef, our Dare County Veteran Service Officer.
- Since its inception, the Council created a means to reach out to our veterans and invite them to acquire a Dare County Veteran I. D. ‘CARD’, which entitles them to discounts at over 60 area business locations. If you have not acquired your ‘CARD’ but would like to, you’re welcomed to call me (council member) at (252) 202-2058 to schedule a specific time to meet or you can meet with council member & Vice Chairman Jack Leonard (252) 255-4631at the Thomas A. Baum Senior Center, 300 Mustian Ave., Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 each Thursday from 1:00PM to 4:00PM (with the exception of the 4th Thursday due to the Council meeting). In either case, in order to acquire your ‘CARD’, local resident veterans must provide a copy of their DD-214 showing HONORABLE discharge and your Driver’s License. If you are not a full time Dare County resident but own property (improved or unimproved) in Dare County, you are also eligible to acquire the ‘CARD’ by providing same (DD-214 & Drivers License) in addition to a Dare County Property Tax Bill and/or local utility bill. The requested documents are for review purposes only; they are not copied and there is no charge for the ‘CARD’. The almost 500 veterans who have already received their ‘CARD’ enjoy the benefit of the discounts and they are grateful for the businesses proprietors who wish to honor them in this special way.
- Veterans are receiving more and more attention and displays of gratitude throughout Dare County as demonstrated during Outer Banks Veterans Week Event Calendar. See www.darearts.org for a full list of details and events schedules and in future GIG LINE columns. Also check the calendar again closer to Veterans Week for any additions/updates.
- If you are a resident here and current member of an out of town American Legion or V.F.W. Post, please consider relocating your membership locally and get involved. Both the American Legion Post 26 located 302 W. Lake Dr., Kill Devil Hills, zip 27948 and the Outer Banks V.F.W. Post 10950 are comprised of very dedicated veterans who would g-r-e-a-t-l-y appreciate your attendance, membership and participation. The men and women of both organizations work hard promoting good things and true, veteran support to all of your brothers and sisters and naturally the more help the better. They each welcome all eligible veterans into their fold and your presence would mean a lot to each of them. Their schedule is as follows:
- The American Legion Post 26 meet every 4th Tuesday (except July, August & December), 12:00 Noon at the Post (see address above) and lunch is provided. Contact phone: (252) 715-4251.
- The Outer Banks V.F.W. Post 10950 meet monthly every 1st Monday @ 7:00 pm in Kill Devil Hills at the Colington Fire Department (upstairs – elevator provided) at 108 Old School House Rd. zip 27948. Contact Jim phone: (252) 489-9421
- The Marine Corps League Outer Banks Detachment #1264 meets on the 2nd Tuesday every month (except June through August) at The Kern Pitts Center, 5375 North Virginia Dare Trail, Southern Shores, NC 27949. Contact phone: (252) 305-4768.
Those of you who read GIG LINE often may wonder why I’m reiterating this information again…good question but great answer…its because we’re getting more and more, new contacts from veterans who have moved into Dare County or who are interested in joining forces (excuse the pun) and playing an active role in our veteran community. Isn’t that wonderful? Hoo-ray!
Also, please know that you all can call me at (252) 202-2058 or email me at [email protected] if you have a question, comment or suggestion. I’d love to hear from each one of you! Next week, I’ll write about topics that some veterans will be tickled to hear and other subjects too. Also…I have just finally gotten onto Facebook and will be updating my profile etc. as well as providing reference to GIG LINE and more veteran outreach within the week.
As I write this edition, we have yet to experience ‘Matthew’ but I hope and pray we don’t, however, in the meantime, I’ll be praying for you all, your safety, your health and your happiness. Each of you are very important to me and since my veteran “sweetie pie” Billy passed away this past July 12th, you are all in my heart every single day. I love you all. God bless you and your families. Stay tuned.